Welcome to the Green Apartment!

UPDATE: Due to some major life-stuff (you know the stuff), I've been neglectful of The Green Apartment. Fear not! I'm in the process of getting The Green Apartment up and running again! Check back again soon!

ABOUT THE GREEN APARTMENT: I truly believe that the choices consumers make have the power to promote real environmental change. My focus is on products you can use - and bring with you when your journey moves on.

Have you used any of these products or do you know of some that I have missed? Drop me a line on Twitter!

Monday, November 5, 2007

LIVING ROOM: Window Insulation

3M Indoor Window Insulator Kit. The first winter I lived in Boston, many evenings were spent huddled on the couch in layers upon layers of sweaters, blankets, scarves and winter hats. And while I'm all for adding layers instead of cranking up the thermostat, the brisk wind rushing past my head was not a welcome guest. Enough was enough. I threw on my boots (I was already wearing my jacket) and headed up to the local hardware store.

Less than twenty dollars and just over an hour later, the windows in my living room - including one extremely old and leaky five by six foot window - were sealed shut. And it was easy! I cut the rolls of clear film (like saran wrap but without the cling) into rectangles to fit my windows, ran double-stick tape around the edges of my windows, and attached the film to the tape. To fully-seal the edges and remove all of the wrinkles and waves in the film, I used my hair blow-dryer - from one upper-corner to the opposite lower-corner. The result was a crystal-clear layer of plastic across each of my windows.

Of course, this means I'm using additional petroleum-based plastic, but i think that the energy-savings and added comfort attained without adding additional heat sources makes up for that, especially since I'm renting, and cannot replace the windows with newer, more energy-efficient ones.

I got my kit at Model Hardware, an Allston branch of the Ace Hardware chain that supports local nonprofits through the Boston Community Change network. This type of product is probably made by other brands, but I'm originally a Minnesota girl, and 3M just joined the Clinton Climate initiative! Check out the Clinton Foundation's work to green the C40 - the world's largest forty cities!This product has made a world of difference in my apartment!

Digg!

1 comment:

Adamoda14 said...

Old windows suck, you go girl!