Welcome to the Green Apartment!

UPDATE: Due to some major life-stuff (you know the stuff), I've been neglectful of The Green Apartment. Fear not! I'm in the process of getting The Green Apartment up and running again! Check back again soon!

ABOUT THE GREEN APARTMENT: I truly believe that the choices consumers make have the power to promote real environmental change. My focus is on products you can use - and bring with you when your journey moves on.

Have you used any of these products or do you know of some that I have missed? Drop me a line on Twitter!

Monday, November 5, 2007

LIVING ROOM: CFL Light Bulbs

Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs. This is one product that's been big in the media lately. CFL's are well known as an energy-saving lighting alternative. In February of 2007, Australia went so far as to announce a national phase-out of traditional incandescent light bulbs by 2009. According to Energy Star, each CFL uses 75% less energy than its traditional counterpart, and can save thirty dollars or more over its lifetime. This far outweighs its higher purchase price.

The reason I had not included this product before now is that I felt uneasy recommending a light bulb that I know contains mercury, and as of yet does not have a widely-accessible recycling system. I consulted with some friends who graduated from an environmental program at Duke. They gave me some insight:


Retailers are already beginning to establish CFL Recycling Drop-offs, such as Ikea's impressive national recycling program, and the CFL Recycling event hosted by Walmart on June 23rd. Because residential CFL's are guaranteed for last at least two years, and on average last ten times longer than incandescents, by the time most of my CFL's die, such programs will have had years to be fully-established.

No comments: